It was a very fluid progression. I come from an art background, had coloring pencils in my paws since I can remember and went on to study paint in college. Transferring my skills from the canvas to the face came very naturally. I was good at doing my own makeup & liked to wear quite artistic looks during my teens, my family & friends started asking me to do their makeup and it evolved from there!!
What is your favourite upcoming make-up trend for SS13?
I'm loving the bright red & pink lips of course since I recently became braces free. 90's grunge always makes me happily nostalgic so I'm delighted it's popped up throughout the various fashion weeks with gloriously smudged under eye pencil, and being such a skin-care nut I love seeing natural looking skin taking some of the limelight!
Top 5 products in your kit?
This is not an easy list to whittle down but 5 products that NEVER leave my kit are….
1. MAC 'Strobe Cream' - a must for 'lifting' dull and dry skins. It is packed with anti-oxidants and other good stuff for your skin too :)
2. Oil-Control Primer - I like a few including MACs 'Matte Creme', La Roche Posay Effeclar Mat & L'Oreals 'Studio Secrets' Oil Control primer.
3. Bourjois 'Healthy Mix Serum' has become one of my favourite foundations to use on clients (only excluding those who are VERY oily), amazing texture and quite inexpensive!
4. MAC Mineralize SkinFinish Natural Powder…. my favourite!
5. Highlighter! I'm obsessed with it, I love MAC Cream Color Bases, the Mineralize SkinFinish highlighters & a Prestige Baked Minerals highlighter powder that is no longer available in Ireland anyhow!
What has been your favourite make-up job in recent times?
I have worked with the GlamRocksLuna girls a few times and have always been delighted with the finished product, the result of collaborating with Úna & Louise (the stylists & directors) and Shane O'Connor the photographer. The below picture is from one of those shoots on model Máire Hughes.
Do you have a staple/favourite make-up look?
On myself? In a hurry I always concentrate on skin, highlighting and contouring, groom my brows and wear mascara. Though I often repeat a grungy matte brown smokey eye and natural lip with matte skin too. I love a bright lip but it doesn't happen as often as I'd like!
What products do you think deserve more love/hype?
The new-to-the-scene Zoeva makeup brushes are amazing but are only just starting to filter out into the online beauty world now. Professional brands like Kryolan, Ben Nye and Graftobian for example are often over-looked. Before the Makeup Flash Colors were Kryolans Supra Colours which are just as good, almost identical in fact in texture etc but Kryolan have a much vaster shade selection and a fairer price point!